Many visitors to New York don't want to miss the classic NYC hot dog during their stay. The selection is very large and tastes are known to be different. So it's no surprise that you get a lot of recommendations for the best hot dog in town. Many believe that Nathan's in Coney Island offers the tastiest. Others are convinced that Sabrett's hot dogs are the best and recommend always looking out for one of its food trucks. In the end, of course, everyone only cooks with water and a grilled Frankfurter sausage in bread is always a delicious snack. If you want to try the tastiest hot dog in New York, we recommend going to Gray's Papaya . The main office is at 72nd Street and Broadway . Another branch has also just opened on 8th Avenue between 39th and 40th Streets. Gray's Papaya's traditional hot dog is very popular with New Yorkers , especially those who are on a budget or perhaps have had a drink or two too many and are now craving hearty food.
Be careful: There are many restaurants that contain the word “Papaya” in their name, such as “Papaya King”. Although they resemble the original, they are not the same. So feel free to plan a visit to “ Gray’s Papaya ” and order your food either “to stay” or “to go” – you won’t be disappointed.
What makes “Gray’s Papaya” special?
Sooo many things! :)
- The Quality : The frankfurters for the hot dog served here are all produced at a butcher shop called Marathon in New Jersey. By the way, this is the same supplier as Sabretts. The rolls are fresh and the ingredients with which you can complement your hot dog are classic and traditional.
- The drinks : The name of the company originally comes from the name of the founder, who also has his own papaya drinks production. The Gray's Papaya drinks are characterized by their wide variety of flavors such as “Papaya”, “Piña Colada”, “Banana Daiquiri”, “Coconut Chanpagne”, “Mango” and “Strawberry Supreme”. Just don't let the names fool you. All drinks do not contain alcohol! ;) In addition to the various lemonades, you can also order simple water or coffee here. At least on your first visit you should give the special drinks from Papayas a chance. :)
- The price : A hot dog starts at $2.50, which is a real bargain, especially for New York. The current special includes 2 hot dogs with a drink for just $4.45. However, these change regularly. You can also have your hot dog topped with ketchup, mustard, onions and sauerkraut for free. You can add chilies and cheese for $0.50 each. This means you get one of the tastiest and cheapest deals in the city.
Even though the line can be very long, the service is great and you don't have to wait long for your hot dog.
Gray's Papaya is an integral part of New York City pop culture. Stars regularly report on their visits to the store when they appear on television, for example in a talk show. Samuel L. Jackson recently reported again how he and Denzel Washington scraped together the last money for a visit to Papaya before they became famous.
In the film “The Avengers”, Spider-man suggested stopping at the shop for a hot dog and there are also scenes in Gray's Papaya in many other films and series.
- 2001 Down to Earth (German film name: Once to Heaven and Back) with Regina King and Chris Rock
- 1997 Fools Rush In with Matthew Perry and Salma Hayek
- 2008 Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (Nick & Norah - Soundtrack of a Night) with Michael Cera and Kat Dennings
- 1998 You've Got Mail with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan
- 2010 The Back-up Plan (Plan B for Love) with Jennifer Lopez and Alex O'Loughlin
- In 2002, Carrie Bradshaw celebrated her first book release in Gray's Papaya in an episode of " Sex and the City ".
- Gray's Papaya was mentioned frequently on " How I met your mother ".
In addition to their delicious hot dogs, Gray's Papaya also offers a good breakfast with sandwiches, bagels and delicious coffee.
So skip the overly expensive and not so tasty hot dogs during your stay in New York and plan a visit to “Gray's Papaya” instead. :) This shop is worth it for anyone who likes to eat hot dogs or maybe just wants a real New York experience. And if you don't like hot dogs, then at least there are still delicious lemonades or homemade pineapple juice that you should try. :)
We wish you a lot of fun and enjoy your meal!