There are various options to get a beautiful view of the Manhattan skyline and the world-famous Statue of Liberty . Feel free to come along on one of our tours such as the Jazz Cruise every Monday or our “ Above the Rooftops of New York ” and let yourself be enchanted by the unique view. However, a ride on the Staten Island Ferry also offers you a great view of Lady Liberty and the skyline and you should add it to your “to-do” list. You can use this for free 24 hours a day , 7 days a week and 365 days a year. The ferry takes you from the “ Whitehall Terminal ” in Lower Manhattan to the “ St. Georg Ferry Terminal ” on Staten Island. The journey time on one route is around 30 minutes. You get very close to the Statue of Liberty and also have a great view of the city. And don't forget all the interesting fellow travelers you can observe.
Below we have put together everything you need to know about a trip on the Staten Island Ferry:
How do I get to the ferry?
- You can take a taxi to Whithall Station at 4 South Street
- Public transport also takes you to the ferry: you can buy an MTA card , i.e. your ticket , at a kiosk or in the subway station. Take a look at the timetable and find the best route.
ATTENTION: in many subways only the first 5 cars take you to the ferry terminal. So make sure you stay in one of these.
Arrived – now what?
- Just follow the crowd and the signs and you will arrive at the terminal in a few minutes
- Get in line for the ferry ride
- Find a spot on the ferry that you like and has a nice view
Please get off the ferry in Staten Island. If you want to go back immediately, you have to queue again.
Tips for traveling on the Staten Island Ferry
- Avoid taking the ferry during rush hour . This is on weekdays from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and from 3:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. You can enjoy it more if the ferry is not too crowded.
- Bicycles are allowed on board. However, they must be pushed and parked in the designated area for bicycles.
- You can take inline skates or a skateboard with you on the ship, but please do not use them on board.
- You can buy snacks and drinks on each boat
- You are welcome to take photos along the journey
- There is a smoking ban in the terminal and also on the ferry
- Arrange a meeting point in Staten Island if you are a larger group and cannot all get on the same ferry
- Please be careful on deck. It can be very slippery when it rains or snows.
- Don't forget to take all your things with you from the board ;)
Good to know:
- The route the ferry takes is 8.4 km long
- The ferry operator is the New York City Department of Transportation
- The ferry has been offering its service since 1905
- The Staten Island Ferry transports around 23 million people every year
- Since the terrorist attack on September 11th, vehicles are no longer permitted on the ferry
- The Whitehall Terminal can hold up to 100,000 people
The Staten Island Ferry is world famous through film and television:
You can see the ferry in series like “Law&Order”, “Sex and the City” or “Friends” or in the 2017 film “Spider Man”.
Here's another clip from the film "The Weapons of Women" from 1988 with the actors Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford and Sigourney Weaver
We wish you a good trip. :)